What is health?
We can define health as a state of complete mental, physical, social and spiritual wellbeing. The health of the body could be maintained as much as possible by following regular advice and preventive measures to cut the possibility of diseases. Our energy level is an image of our inclusive health and wellbeing. The more energy we have, the more we will get work in our daily life. In this article, we will highlight how to maintain good health in old age.
What most people don’t realize is that there is a synergetic relationship between our health and the other parts of our life. Our health consists of 4 layers or energies which are;
2. Mental health
3. Emotional health
Why health is important in our life?
Good health is fundamental to human well-being and happiness. And it contributes significantly to affluence and wealth and even economic progress. Because we know that healthy peoples are more creative, save more and live longer. For a healthy life cycle, we need a healthy and stable diet, good sanitation habits, staying in an appropriate shelter, and getting enough sleep.
Moreover, we will have to participate in physical activities, weight management, and stress management activities.
Our health is the focus of our life. We cannot climb higher in all the other areas of our life if we do not have enough physical energy to dedicate to each of them. Health is an important factor that helps an individual perform his daily life responsibilities in a correct and right way.
If a person is physically healthy it means that the body does not have any illnesses in all parts of his body, and has the safety of all its membranes. While mental and social health is signified by the ability of a person to achieve social tasks assigned to him without flaw or error. The standing of good health in an individual’s life is certainly great.
What changes in your body when you get older?
Getting older implicates change, both positive and negative, but you can enjoy aging if you comprehend what’s going on with your body and take steps to sustain your health. Many different things come about to your body as you age. Your skin, bones, and even brain may start to act differently. Don’t let the variations that come with old age catch you by surprise. As you age, you may notice deviations in your body’s makeup. You may lose muscle mass, which may increase infirmity. You may also burn fewer calories, particularly if you are not very bodily active.
Following are some changes that take place with aging:
- Bones can become more brittle and thinner in old age.
- Gum disease is also a distress for older adults.
- With old age, your skin loses its springiness and may start to wrinkle.
- After menopause, when menstruation stops, many women experience physical deviations like a loss of vaginal lubrication.
- Getting older can cause changes in your responses and even your senses. While dementia is not a normal concern of old age, it is common for people to experience some minor forgetfulness as they get older.
- As you age, your digestive tract becomes more strong and rigid and doesn’t contract as often.
How to maintain good health in old age?
Tips for good health in old age:
Here are some useful tips on how to maintain good health in old age;
- Get the proper sleep that your body needs at least 7 to 8 hours.
- Do proper exercise on a daily basis.
- Refrain from smoking and limit the consumption of alcohol
- Eat a well-balanced and healthy diet.
- Stay active physically with regular exercise.
- Regular check-ups with your dentist, doctor, and optometrist are even more essential now, and take all the medicine as directed by your doctor.
- The old adult is advised to eat foods that are rich in nutrients like fruits and vegetables, beans, nuts, seeds, seafood, whole grain, milk, and eggs.
- Some foods are not good for old adults to like; sugar, drink, desserts, food with butter and other fats, rice and pasta, etc.
- Eat breakfast at the proper time.
- Get at least half an hour of physical exercise daily.